Storm warnings are frequent occurrences in autumn and winter, and this weekend a powerful storm is expected to hit several parts of Europe. How can I protect my property against a storm? With our top 10 tips you will be best prepared for stormy weather:
- 1) Remove all loose items from your garden and from your property and store these securely.
- 2) Close all windows and doors.
- 3) Make sure that you securely fasten all window shutters and awnings.
- 4) Get buckets ready in case the roof of your house is damaged and arrange for a roof specialist to repair any damage after the storm.
- 5) If a window is damaged, try to secure the hole with furniture.
- 6) Make sure that you do not touch any electrical items! They may have become wet.
- 7) Trees on your property must also withstand the storm. Therefore remove any dead branches in advance.
- 8) Before the storm hits, remove any leaves from the gutters so that water can drain away.
- 9) Take all the necessary precautions if you live in a flood-risk area.
- 10) Ensure you have sufficient emergency lighting in case of a power outage.
In general, a house should be examined regularly for any weaknesses. Roof tiles and cladding should be checked before each winter to ensure they are fastened securely. This will give you peace of mind that your property is protected against water penetration and storms.