The history of an atypical french castle
The exact year of the present castle’s construction is still unknown to this day, however in 1021 an oppidum (a Gallic fortification) was first built at its location. Thereafter, it became a fortified Roman town known as the Castrum de Aquina.
In the 13th century, a fortified ‘bastide’ was erected, which was later converted to a noble house at the end of the 16th century.
The famous Sabran family, very prominent in the region of Provence, decided to expand the house by building a mansion.
In 1606, under Henri IV, Balthazar de Gauthier, son of a Sabran son-in-law, rebuilt the estate. The construction work lasted until 1641 and resulted in a beautiful four-turret castle, with a renowned architectural style for that time. Balthazar de Gauthier’s role in the history of the estate didn’t stop there. He undertook a further expansion of the property on the land of an older structure (belonging to the “Baux” and then the “Blacas”).
The entrance gate, adorned with fruits and foliage still visible to this day, is a typical example of 17th century style.
Over the years, important renovation works have helped maintain the state of the castle. Between 1720 and 1770, the former landlords of the property completed several renovations. For instance, the gardens and terraces were redeveloped in 1732, along with the fountains in 1770.