Luxury Home Features & Neighbourhood Guide to Sai Ying Pun, Hong Kong Island
Finding a home can be exciting, overwhelming, and slightly annoying if you don’t have a proper plan of action. Although Hong Kong is small, there is still a diverse collection of neighbourhoods to pick and choose from - enough to make your head spin. This is why we have come up with a neighbourhood feature to introduce you to all of the exciting neighbourhoods of beautiful Hong Kong.
Our exciting neighbourhood watch guide each week will help demystify the various locations of Hong kong, helping you choose the most ideal spot to find a home. This week, we will be focusing on Sheung Wan on Hong Kong Island - an always popular choice for people seeking the ultimate high in luxurious homes. If efficiency and convenience is what you are seeking, then Sai Ying Pun is a neighbourhood you will want to do some digging in to.
This week’s neighbourhood feature spotlights a new trendy hot spot called Sai Ying Pun, an area that is become a big up and coming neighbourhood rapidly the last 2-3 years. Sai Ying Pun is in the northwestern part of Hong Kong Island, and administratively is a part of the Central and Western District.
Sai Ying Pun’s cantonese is 西營盤, which directly translates to English as "West Camp", specifically a military camp, due to the fact that the area was formerly an early British Military outpost. The location of Sai Ying Pun is uniquely built on the steep lower slopes of Victoria Peak and on the western relcamaation. Sai Ying Pun is tucked neatly between Shek Tong Tsui and Kennedy Town to its west, Sheung Wan and Tai Ping Shan to its east, the Mid-levels to its south (higher up the hill) and Victoria Harbour to its north.
The Sai Ying Pun area is a popular choice for people seeking a new home, primarily expats and the international crowd. It is close enough to Central (just mere minutes away), but far enough from the chaos that comes with living smack in the center of all the crazy action. Sai Ying Pun has quickly become the perfect balance of traditional old school charm and international chic, with wet markets and quaint little local shops mixed in between trendy restaurants, bars, and coffee shops.
Sai Ying Pun has been a trendy up and coming neighbourhood for the past couple of years. It is also an increasingly popular area for dog owners because many of the buildings in the vicinity surprisingly welcome dogs of all breeds and sizes - Island Crest residential building s a prime example. If you prefer buildings of a smaller scale, there are plenty of older walk-up buildings too.
Do you have pets? Well luckily, this is a very dog-friendly neighbourhood compared to most other areas of Hong Kong Island. There are a ton of pet shops, dog-grooming boutiques, and dog-friendly cafes and restaurants spread throughout Sai Ying Pun. Just a few minutes walking distance away is a popular dog park where owners and their beloved pooches flock to every day of the week. Did we mention that the dog park opens up to a beautiful view of the waterfront facing Kowloon side and is situated right next to gorgeous Sun Yat Sen Park?
Transportation in the Sai Ying Pun:
Transportation in Sai Ying Pun is uber convenient for residents and visitors of the neighbourhood. Originally, there was no MTR line passing through Sai Ying Pun, but this all changed when the Sai Ying Pun MTR station was opened in early 2015. With any new MTR station openings, there is undoubtedly an influx of businesses, establishments and population that floods to the district. The MTR station is one of the main reasons that Sai Ying Pun became a hot spot so quickly. The area has changed dramatically in the last few years, from a rather remote and deserted area to one that has quickly gathered fame.
Sai Ying Pun is an education hub, with many famous school and universities spread around and nearby the neighbourhood, making it an ideal location for students and families with children. Some of the schools around The Summa Residential Building include:
- The University of Hong Kong
- St. Louis School
- St. Paul’s College
- St. Stephen’s Church College
Nearby Restaurants, Bars and Coffee Shops:
From a virtually old ghost town back in the day, Sai Ying Pun has quickly picked up the pace to becoming one of the hottest spots in town for foodies, and social drinkers. With so many of Hong Kong’s best eateries making Sai Ying Pun home, this neighbourhood is a dream to live in, especially for foodies. Even if you are not a foodie, let’s be real now...who has ever complained about having to many food and beverage options? One of the main reasons this area has become so popular has much to do with its variety and quantity of great restaurants, bars, and coffee shops. If you want good eats, this is the place you want to be! Sai Ying Pun residents can get a taste of "mini Central" when living in this neighbourhood. You get all the perks, without any of the hectic crowds of people, noise and congestion.
- Thai On High - Run by Thai people, this cozy little Thai restaurant is as authentic as it gets in Hong Kong. If you are craving seriously delicious home-cooked thai dishes, this is a spot you don’t want to miss! You can find Thai On High at: 41 High Street, Sai Ying Pun, Hong Kong.
- Potato Head - Hailing from Indonesia, Potato Head is a Beach Club located in Seminyak Bali that opened its first location in Hong Kong’s very own Sai Ying Pun just a couple of years ago. Think tropical, soulful fare and fantastic drinks to match. With a restaurant side, bar, and lounge, Potato Head is a real destination for good times and you don’t even need to go to Bali to experience it! There is also a small retail space inside the Potato Head that features goods from you can purchase from Indonesia. You can find Potato Head Hong Kong at: G/F, 100 Third Street, Sai Ying Pun, Hong Kong.
- La Paloma - Fiesta, Fiesta! This laid-back and lively restaurant is all about fun casual fare and drinks. A "Chiringuito" style concept, it focuses on being a relaxing bar that serves mainly delicious drinks (think Sangria) and lots and lots of varieties of tapas. La Paloma follows the vibe of a "Chiringuito" beach-like vibe with its colorful and vibrant decor. You can find your most-loved Spanish favorites here at: 1 Floor, 189 Queen’s Road West, Sai Ying Pun, Hong Kong.
- Winston’s Coffee - Seated right next to the Sai Ying Pun MTR station on Queen’s Road West, this quaint aussie-style coffee shop with friendly staff and hipster vibes has quickly become a neighbourhood must-go since it first opened in the recent years. The place is small, but it’s cool and the drinks and food are unbeatable. Oh, and it’s also dog friendly! That’s a huge plus for the residents of this neighbourhood as there are so many dog owners who choose to live in dog-friendly Sai Ying Pun district. You can find Winston’s Coffee at: 213 Queen’s Road West, Fu Kwok Building, Sai Ying Pun, Hong Kong.
- Ping Pong 129 - Ping Pong 129 is a very unique establishment. The space was formerly a ping pong hall that has been transformed in to a dark and mysterious Ginotería (a gin and tonic bar). This bar is a retro hot spot amongst artists, hipsters and of course, gin lovers. With over 40 different types of gin from around the world, you can lay back on the sofas and take in the cool vibes of this refurbished industrial bar. You can make your way to Ping Pong 129 at this address: L/G, 129 Second Street, Nam Cheong House, Sai Ying Pun, Hong Kong.
- Fish School - Tucked away in an alley on Third Street, Fish School is all about seafood, specifically fish of course, being its big speciality. This restaurant uses fresh local ingredients prepared with a modern twist. For something that’s different from the masses, head to Fish School at: 100 Third Street, Sai Ying Pun, Hong Kong.
- Stack - Pancakes! Flapjacks! Need we say more? If you have a love for breakfast food, Stack is a place you want to definitely check out. They don’t just make traditional pancakes. The creations really test the boundaries of what is considered traditionally delicious, including pancake sandwiches, savoury pancakes, and more! Head down to Stack at the following address: 1 Third Street, Sai Ying Pun, Hong Kong.
- Craft Brew & Co. - With multiple locations in Hong Kong, of course Craft Brew & Co would also make its presence known in Sai Ying Pun. If you like Brews on tap, this is the place for you. You can find this chilled out beer-focused bar at: 36 High Street, Sai Ying Pun, Hong Kong.
- Yuan Is Here - This tiny Taiwanese food spot ranks pretty high on our list of neighbourhood favorites. Yuan is here is a real hole in the wall, no frills kind of place. The place is so good that most of their popular dishes are usually sold out before 7pm and there is always a long queue that people are happily willing to wait in. Make sure you go early to grab a seat or get takeout. They also serve a Taiwanese favorite, bubble teas here! You can find Yuan Is Here at: 73 Third Street, Sai Ying Pun, Hong Kong.
- Uncle Padak - KFC! Nope, not Kentucky Fried Chicken, this is even better. We’re talking about Korean Fried Chicken, a staple that has become a local favorite the last few years. Uncle Padak serves some of the best Korean Fried Chicken in Hong Kong. The fried crispy goodness comes paired with a selection of sauces, and korean side dishes like rice balls and grilled corn to name just a few. It’s a fast food kind of place but trust us, it is mouthwateringly worth a taste, but we can bet our money that you won’t be taken just one bite. It’s that good. For some of Uncle Padak’s delicious fried chicken, just make your way to: 59 High Street, Sai Ying Pun, Hong Kong.
Shopping Destinations in the neighbourhood:
There’s tons of places for shopping in Sai Ying Pun, from wellness and health shops, supermarkets, to a large wet market where you can purchase everything from fresh produce to freshly caught seafood. The area is so self-sufficent that you don’t need to venture out of the area to get your daily errands done.
What else is there in the Sai Ying Pun area?
- Sun Yat Sen Park
- Sai Ying Pun/Sheung Wan Dog Park
I want to live here! Show me the homes!
LUXURY HOME FEATURES:
THE SUMMA 高士台
These are a two of the currently listed apartment units for sale at the Summa in Sai Ying Pun, located on the western part of Hong Kong Island:
The first is a one bedroom, one bathroom, 505 square feet (saleable area approx.) unit listed at a sale price of $13,800,000 HKD.
The second apartment is a unit with one bathroom within a saleable area of 264 square feet (Saleable Area Approx.). This chic studio layout is a perfect fit for one person or a young couple. The cozy unit features a private balcony, modern bathroom, and a high-end open layout kitchen.
Constructed in 2013, this elegantly designed building is fairly new and in prime condition. As a luxury brand new and very prestigious building, all of the apartment units are finished and furnished in top grade quality with intelligent and practical layouts. All of the kitchens are equipped with full, state of the art appliances, and provided with split-type air-conditioning systems.
Facilities and amenities are plentiful for residents to enjoy, such as a swimming pool, gymnasium, function room, audio room, indoor and outdoor children play area, and a nice bbq area.
Island Crest is a residential complex that consisting of two towers with a total number of 488 apartment units. The amenities int the building are plentiful - with its own management team, club house, outdoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, children’s play area, multi-usage function rooms, business lounge, piano room, karaoke room, BBQ area, sky garden and communal garden terrace. The complex is ultra convenient, situated next to major transportation links, entertainment and shopping.
Currently there is an a rare available unit within the complex. It is a five bedrooms, four bathrooms unit within an approximate saleable area of 2,996 Sqft and listed at a sale price of HKD $168,000,000. This unique penthouse is situated in one of the prime areas of the neighbourhood, with internal access to the private rooftop featuring a wide 180,degree view of the open harbour overlooking towering ICC. The combined living and dining room area is installed with floor to ceiling windows with full views towards the ICC harbour and opens up in to the sky terrace. The state of the art kitchen is very well equipped with an island table - perfect for a nice breakfast to jumpstart the day. The unit also includes a powder room in the living/dining area, and a helper’s quarter that can be accessed through the kitchen. The apartment is well separated, giving lots of privacy. There is a master ensuite bedroom, 3 other bedrooms and one bathroom. The private rooftop can be accessed off of the living/dining area, where you can enjoy spanning views of the ICC Harbour and the Peak. There is also a private swimming pool on the rooftop, setting the perfect kind of backdrop for alfresco dining or pool side gathering. This home great for families and those who like to entertain.
The penthouse includes a carpark, allowing for pure luxury and convenience.
This stunning European-style family home built ini 1976 houses three bedrooms, and three bathrooms within an approximate saleable area of 2,903 Sqft. It is currently listed at a sale price of HKD $155,000,000. Decorated with elegant French Windows, a private garden and internal staircase to its large roof terrace, the home is quaint and charming. With an open plan kitchen, spacious living/dining rooms, and all three bedrooms that come with ensuite bathrooms, this is an ideal family home in the middle of the city with excellent privacy in a secured gated estate. The estate includes its own swimming pool, fitness gym and tennis court as well.
A large duplex apartment has opened up in this new development, "Upton". Built in the recent year 2015, the apartment complex is brand new with state of the art finishings and designs. This residential building is located in a prime location in Sheung Wan at 180 Connaught Road West. This particular unit available is a four bedroom, 3 bathroom apartment within an approximate saleable area of 3,388 Sqft listed at a current sale price of HKD $145,000,000. This unit features its own private balcony.
A second apartment unit available is a modern four bedrooms, and two bathrooms unit within an approximate saleable area of 1,694 Sqft. It is is listed at a current sale price of HKD $60,000,000. This modern four bedroom apartment features stunning sea views located at the edge of the waterfront in Sheung Wan district.
What do other residents have to say about living in Sai Ying Pun?
"Sai Ying Pun is a great neighbourhood that has pretty much everything we want as a young new family. There are loads of shops, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, supermarkets, wet market, MTR station, and butchers. The area is very dog-friendly and kid-friendly. You don’t ever really need to leave the area!"
"Convenience. It is so easy to get everything you need here. I can basically run all of my errands within a 5-min walking radius. I can shop for groceries, go to the bank, take the kids to the playground, let our dog run at the dog park and more."
"The pollution is pretty poor here. The apartments in the area get very dusty easily."
"If you have babies, it’s hard to get around here because there are so many stairs and steep hills"
" The wet markets are great but they also give off a very fishy smell in the area. It’s definitely not scenic"
"Sun Yat Sen Park is super close to us"
"This is a real hot neighbourhood right now. It’s been an up-and-coming neighbourhood the last few years and now it’s become a very trendy spot, with tons of cool restaurants, bars, lounges, cafés. It’s a great area for young professionals but it’s an area that’s full of families too because of all the reputable schools that are in close proximity, like HKU for example. Another great thing is how dog-friendly this neighbourhood is, with tons of establishments that serve pets and offer pet services."
If we have piqued your interest, do feel welcome to contact our team at Engel & Volkers for more detailed information and viewings of the luxury homes for sale and rental. Engel & Voelkers are the leading experts in featuring real estate properties in the best areas of Hong Kong. We assure you that you will find your ideal dream home with our help.