Urban Conservation Area in Birkirkara
Birkirkara is a city in central Malta. It is the largest town on the island and consists of four autonomous parishes: St. Helen, St. Joseph, and Our Lady of the Carmel and St Mary. There are many places of interest in Birkirkara, among which are the Old Railway Station, which today is a public garden. Trains were used as means of transportation until 1931. Other attractions include the aqueducts near Mriehel, and St. Helen's basilica, one of the most beautiful churches on the Maltese islands, which also houses Malta's biggest bell. Birkirkara is one of the oldest towns in Malta. It was already featured in the 1436 Ecclestiastical Report which established parishes in Malta and Gozo. Birkirkara emerged as the largest parish. Birkirkara has grown into an important commercial centre yet it has not lost its charm as a residential hub.