The Golden Visa is a residence permit for investment activity (ARI) and consists of obtaining a temporary residence permit in Portigal, my making as investment in the national territory, in accordance with the legislation in force.
Who can apply?
All citizens coming from states not belonging to the European Union or to the Schengen area, which carry out na investment activity, either personally or through society, and which meet the requirements laid downn by law.
- To enter Portugal with exemption of residence visa;
- To live and work in Portugal, being able to maintain another residence in another country;
- Circulate freely through the Schengen area;
- Benefit from family reunification;
- Possibility of access to permanente residence, after 5 years;
- Possibility of obtaining portuguese nationality, after 6 years.
How to obtain teh Golden Visa through real estate investment?
- Acquisition of real estate with a value equal to 500 thousand euros or more. The value of this investment can be reduced by 20% (400 thousand euros) when it is carried out in low density territory;
- Acquisition of real estate built at least 30 years ago (or located in an urban rehabilitation area) and completion of rehabilitation works, totaling at least 350 thousand euros.
The holders of Golden Visa permits for investment activity have the right to family regrouping, and may gain access to a permanente residence permit, as well as to portuguese citizenship in accordance to the current legal provisions.
Minimum permanent residence periods
For the purposes of renewing a residence permit, you may have to show that you have resided in the portuguese territory for a minimum period of 7 days, either consecutively or non-consecutively, during the first year, and 14 days in subsequent two year periods.
This information is not intended to be a subtitute for consulting the applicable legislation