Find a place to call your own
Engel & Völkers Licence Partner Sintra > Blog > Everything you need to know about energy certificates

Everything you need to know about energy certificates

At the time of selling or buying a home, one of the concepts that can lead to queries are the energy certificates. Although much is said about these, the truth is that they are mandatory even though their definition is not yet known to many people.The SCE (National Energy Certification System) is a type of building categorisation regarding their energy usage.

This aims to mainly provide information regarding the energy performance of the buildings; present solutions to improve its efficiency, reducing energy consumption; and to bring together all the issues related to energy performance and technical building systems in one document.

That document will tell you about the property's energy consumption, air conditioning and water heating as well as current measures to solve any problems. Suggestions such as improving insulation or investing in double glazing may be included in the energy certificate.

- solar-panels-871284454772qkB9.jpg

Over the last few years, this certificate has been more widely spoken, due to the obligation of houses for sale or rent (regardless of their year of construction) needing to have an energy certificate.When a rental agreement or sale contract is made, this document must be presented in order to guarantee the information relating to the energy class of the subject property.

In practical terms, these certificates make an assessment using an alphabetical scale, which can range from A + to F (more specifically A +, A, B, B-, C, D, E and F). Thus, while the energy efficiency of an A + property is high, it ensures maximum performance while a property with F-certificate will be inefficient. Nevertheless, it is necessary to consider that the energy class is evaluated in different ways in homes.

In more recent buildings, the variation in categorisation is always between A + and B-. Regardless of the type of property, the certificate in question will only be valid when issued by technicians who are authorised by ADENE (Energy Agency).

In order for this classification to be assigned, the property undergoes various inspection tests.It should be noted that for this certification to be requested, it is necessary for the owner to provide some documents, such as the title deeds, the floor plan of the house, the certificate of registration and also the technical file. From the date of its issuance, this document will remain valid for ten years.Although it is a mandatory certificate, the prices for its issuance and for the inspection service are not fixed and may vary.

Contact us now
Engel & Völkers
Licence Partner Sintra
  • Largo Afonso de Albuquerque, 5/6
    2710-519 Sintra
  • Fax: +351 21 600 90 60

Mondays to Fridays 9.30 - 18.30

Saturdays 10.00 - 14.00

Sundays closed

We know the true value of your property

Do you know how much your property is currently worth? No matter if you just want to inform yourself about the current market-price, or if you wish to sell your property for the best price: our experienced marketing experts are happy to assist you with a free and non-binding valuation.

Follow us on social media