Engel & Völkers Durbanville supports blood donation
Why should people donate blood?
The simplest reason is to help save the lives of patients in need of blood transfusions. Just knowing that your one unit of blood can save up to three lives is a rewarding enough feeling. Every unit of blood once tested and is deemed safe for transfusion is separated into, red blood cells, platelets and Plasma.
You can donate blood at Cobble Walk Shopping Centre, opposite Headlines Barber Shop on:
15 December 2015, 28 December 2015 & 04 January 2015 from 11:00 – 15:45.
To become a blood donor you must be between the ages of 16 – 65, weigh more than 50 kg’s, be medically healthy, lead a safe lifestyle and be committed to helping others!
What To Do Prior To Donating
- Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements to donate blood.
- When donating at a mobile location, review the schedule to ensure that it has not been cancelled or rescheduled.
- Eat a healthy meal and drink plenty of fluid.
- Make sure you are wearing non-restrictive clothing.
What Not To Do Prior to Donating
- Do not smoke for at least one hour before donation.
- Do not chew gum, mints or candy immediately before or during your donation.
- If you are donating platelets, do not take aspirin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for at least 48 hours before your donation.
What To Eat and Drink Before Donating
- Have a good meal before you donate.
- Drink plenty of decaffeinated, non-alcoholic beverages.
- Ensure you follow a healthy diet every day, not just the day of your donation!
- Focus on low-fat and iron-rich foods.
Low-fat foods include: vegetables, fruits, chicken breasts, low-fat milk, non-fat yoghurt etc.
Iron-rich foods include: red meat, fish, poultry, eggs, strawberries, bananas, tomato or apple juice brown or wheat bread, raisins, prunes & spinach.
For further information click here http://www.wpblood.org.za/
We will be there to donate blood as a team - We hope to see you there!