Potchefstroom is an energetic, academic city, hosting the famous Potchefstroom campus of the North West University (NWU) and is commonly known for its sport facilities and student life. This lively city with its clean air is situated close to the Vaal River, where it forms the border between the North-West Province and the Free State. It is conveniently located only 90 minutes from the hustle and bustle of Gauteng, and is a favoured destination for people of all ages; students, young working adults, families with children and the 55-plus age group.
Travelling to Potchefstroom - all you need to know
The metropolitan business centre comprises a variety of commercial activity and agricultural sectors. When in Potch, taking a stroll down the unique historical6.84 km Oak Tree lane is a must and of course not forgetting the picturesque atmosphere of Steve Biko Street in the Bult area, which is synonymous with the student community and offers a wide variety of restaurants which certainly make every visit a highly enjoyable experience.
The town has been proud to host the popular annual Aardklop Arts Festival since1997. It is a predominantly Afrikaans cultural arts festival generally held in the beginning of October. It incorporates theatre, dance, music, cabaret and visual arts, and takes place in a variety of venues in and around the town. The festival also includes a large craft market and open-air performances and is a must to visit if you live in South Africa – although you will most likely want to return year after year.
Property in Potchefstroom:
This city, fondly referred to as ‘Potch’, is a favourite destination for guests as well as a well-loved hometown for its residents. The housing market is as diverse as its people. Some of the properties that are for sale are in close proximity to the busy city centre, while others are located in the more scenic outskirts of town, with a carefully planned road network which makes it easy to access the residential and business district areas, providing residents and visitors with convenient access to shops, banks and medical services. Whether you plan to relocate with the family or lease your new investment - Potchefstroom definitely has an asset for you.
“We are very proud to say that our Engel & Völkers Potchefstroom office celebrates 12 years of successful business this year” says Carl Venter, Licence Partner of Engel& Völkers Potchefstroom. Carl & his team specialize in properties for sale or to rent, student accommodation, commercial property, business opportunities, new developments, property management, farms and auctions. They have a dedicated rental division that will take care of your investments, while their Green Project division focuses on new developments with the expertise and experience to guide you from start to finish. Overall, they offer an all-round service in the property sector and a one-stop for all your needs.
Potchefstroom offers various investment opportunities for the discerning investor
- World class learning institutions: known as the City of Expertise, with a reputation for being an academic hub, with various tertiary education facilities and 30 schools in the area.
- Excellent sports & recreation facilities: the provincial headquarters of South Africa’s 17 most popular sports are situated in the city. It is a well-known training destination for sports men and women from around the globe - hosting approx. 1000international athletes annually.
- Convenient essential services: there are 3 hospitals, a well-equipped fire department and an easily accessible police station all within close proximity to the urban centre.
- Investment in a historical city: it is a historical city with a rich cultural heritage as well as a student paradise with thousands of PUK students from the North West University, Potchefstroom Campus that add to the energetic and vibrant atmosphere.
- Good management: it is constantly busy growing – creating various new investment opportunities for developers and investors to enter the property market. The good management from the JB Marks city council adds to the financial health of the city.
- Lifestyle: Potchefstroom is home to commuters - various prominent business men and women from Gauteng who choose to make it their home for the high quality family life,the variety of good and well-known schools, excellent medical facilities as well as the convenience of being only an hour’s drive from their businesses in Gauteng. Families and students alike can meet all their lifestyle needs without having to travel outside of the town.
Average property value and typical property type:
8 top things to do in and around Potchefstroom
In spite of its size, visitors will be surprised at just how much there is to do.
- Catch a game of cricket at Senwes Cricket Stadium
- Enjoy bird watching at OPM Prozesky Bird Sanctuary
- Visit the Vredefort Dome the oldest and largest meteorite site with hiking trails, nature getaways and beautiful scenery - in the process of being proclaimed a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Visit Totius Museum the home of the poet and writer Jakob Daniel du Toit
- Pop in to the NWU University and spend a day at the NWU Botanical Gardens - a big attraction for the young and old
- Take a stroll down the historical Oak Lane that was planted in 1910
- Enjoy the 4x4routes at the Berakah 4x4 Eco Trail in the Vredefort Dome
- Go camping or spend the day at Potchefstroom Dam resort, enjoy fishing or water skiing with family and friends
What is happening in Potchefstroom?
If you are planning a visit to this majestic city, planning around one of these major events are sure to add to your experience:
- Snow Flake Market: Friday night market and Saturday market in the Old flour Mill on the first weekend of every month
- Gimmie & Volkie sport: major rugby, netball and hockey clash every year between Potchefstroom Gymnasium High School and Volkskool
- NWU RAG: February each year
- NWU Open Day: May each year
- Potch Lente fees (Spring festival): first week in September each year
- The Color Run: annual event at the RAG Farm, generally in September
- Aardklop: annual Arts Festival - October
- Dragon boat race: on the Potchefstroom Dam every year in October - CANSA fundraising event
- Annual Mooirivier Kersmark: end of November to mid-December
Did you know?
The town Potchefstroom, as well as the Engel& Völkers Potchefstroom office featured in the 2015 romantic comedy movie ‘Mooirivier’.
Engel & Völkers Potchefstoom's recommended local restaurants
- Beef Boys and Fishmonger - always a favourite amongst the NWU graduates when celebrating with friends and family
- Die Akker - named after the rich heritage of Potchefstroom Oak Lane, a local coffee shop that is popular for business meetings and lunches
- deMILKo - a local coffee shop with a unique atmosphere on the famous “Bult”, popular amongst students and the various international athletes that reside in Potchefstroom
- Coffee Country - situated in the Mooirivier Mall with its own local coffee Roastery in the shop – roasting excellent quality Common Ground coffees. Patrons can buy various forms of filter coffee or packets of fresh roasted beans to take home.
There are various types of accommodation available in Potchefstroom if you are planning a visit. Tourists can stay the night in one of many bed and breakfasts, self-catering units, guest houses, lodges, hotels. Please go to the accommodation directory for a complete list of places to stay in the area.