The Eixample district is, at present, the most populous in Barcelona and in absolute terms, in the entire Spain. In general, we can safely say that the area occupies the central part of the city and was designed by the renowned engineer, economist, lawyer and politician Ildefonso Cerdá in the mid nineteenth century. In addition, it is one of the most popular areas for tourists throughout Barcelona as it's home to many monuments and places of interest such as Gaudí Square or the Sagrada Familia and Gracia and Cataluña. It also has a great cultural and festive feel to it thanks to the influx of entertainment that's in abundance.
Photo © Airpano
These are the most important squares and streets that make up the famous Eixample district in Barcelona:
- Passeig de Gràcia. One of the most important avenues in all of Barcelona. It is characterised by the many works of modernist architecture because it has a number of buildings that were the work of Lluís Domèbech i Montaner and Antoni Gaudí which have been declared as World Heritage. Catalunya Square connects with Mayor de Gracia Street.
- Rambla de Catalunya. Between Passeig de Gràcia and Balmes Street, begins in Plaza Catalunya and ends on Diagonal Avenue. The other emblems of the city.
- Plaza de Gaudí. A garden square designed by Antoni Gaudí is located opposite Sagrada Familia's Templo Expiatorio. In particular, its gardens were the work of the landscape architect Nicolau Rubió i Tudurí.
- Plaza de la Sagrada Familia. Located next to Gaudí square and just in front of the Pasión del Templo Expiatorio de la Sagrada Familia building. Its gardens are also the work of Nicolau Rubió i Tudurí and is a protected space.
- Glòries Catalanes Square. This is a key point in the city because it brings together the three main avenues: Avenida Meridiana, Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes and Diagonal Avenue.
Photo: Paseo de Gracia / Passeig de Gràcia by Engel & Völkers Barcelona
Eixample is generally a popular tourist area and therefore has plenty of places to enjoy a typical Catalan cuisine as well as foods from many other parts of the world. However, the district of Eixample Esquerra is probably equipped with a greater number of dining places. Also, near the Passeig de Gràcia and Rambla de Catalunya there are countless dining areas to be enjoyed.
The main agglomerations of shops and stores are located in Eixample's Paseo de Gracia. However, this popular Barcelona district has several very interesting shopping centres. In the case of Bulevard Rosa, which is located in Paseo de Gracia itself; Triangle Shopping Centre is located in Catalunya Plaza; and the Arenas Shopping Centre, which falls within the Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes.
There is no doubt that Eixample is the nerve centre of Barcelona, a place riddled with many parks and places for a good family day out. This place is perfect for the little ones to safely run around and play. But also in the shopping centre that we specified in the preceding paragraph, there are many cinemas and other entertainment venues in which they can have a wonderful time.
Photo: Parc Joan Miro by © Wikipedia
Aribau Street is probably the best known place in all of the Eixample district in Barcelona for a great night out, especially if you are looking for fun and entertainment. This is because it has a number of bars, clubs and restaurants to enjoy a great dinner with your friends or family. In fact, it is considered the most exclusive area of Barcelona for all the mentioned reasons. In addition, its location is excellent as it is very close to the popular Paseo de Gracia. Meanwhile, the streets of Santaló and María Cubí, though not as famous and popular, also enjoy a great atmosphere.
In short, the Eixample district is one of the most prestigious of all Barcelona and therefore, everyone in this town wants to live in this neighbourhood. So if you also love this place, do not hesitate to contact Engel & Völkers real estate Barcelona today.We have a large stock of properties in this area and are happy to advise you now. We believe we can help you find just about anything you need.