Job interviews are synonymous with nerves and anxiety. However, you should always keep calm and try to deal with them knowing that you are prepared for whatever comes your way. If you want to avoid making errors at your interview, make sure you pay attention to the following tips. In this article, we will try to include the most important things that you should avoid doing at a future interview.
In general, these are the most common errors that people make when faced with a job interview.
- Arrive late. If you don't arrive on time, you will convey the feeling that you are not serious about getting the job. In any case, it is better to show up to your appointment half an hour early. Having 5 or 10 minutes to prepare yourself in advance is more than enough.
- Bring a companion. You should never go to a job interview with a friend, partner or other family members because it suggests that you're not an independent or initiative person.
- Leave the mobile phone ON. If your mobile phone rings in the middle of the interview, the interviewer will think that you are not serious about the job so do not forget to turn it off before entering the room.
- Go under-dressed. A picture is worth a thousand words and in this sense, the outfit you choose is an important part of your image. Whether you wear a suit or not depends on the company's dress code and the job position you are applying for.
- Focus on money matters. You can ask the prospective employer about the rate of pay but during an interview, it's best not to negotiate your salary. Be discreet about it and don't show any concern at all.
- Show nervousness through body language. You may be fully prepared for the interview but on the day, your nerves might get the better of you. However, if you do not watch your body language, the interviewer will quickly realise that you are not prepared for such situation.
- Look at the clock. Relax and imagine that this interview will take you all day. If you constantly check the time, you will give the impression that you have better places to be.
If you follow all these tips and show a receptive attitude that denotes interest, you can be sure that you will get the job. At the end of the day, first impressions really do count so be positive during the job interview.