A luxurious property located in a historic area
The location at Rue de Berri is ideal. It is at the heart of one of the most influential business areas of the French capital, with direct access to the famous Champs-Elysées.
A long time ago, however, before the influx of big companies wishing to establish themselves here, Rue de Berri was nothing more than a village surrounded by swamps and forests on the doorstep of Paris. From 1640 onwards, Rue de Berri and the adjacent streets were used as a royal nursery, preserving trees and flowers for the king’s residences.
Under the Regency, the Currency Director, whose new Hotel had just been built, set up a housing development project. Unfortunately, this project was never completed. In 1755, the Saint-Florentin Comte, Secretary of State for the Royal household, acquired the grounds of the former royal nursery, which he gave to his mistress the Langeac Comtesse in 1765.
A few years later, in 1772, she sold the field to the Comte d'Artois (Louis XVIth youngest brother), who had plans to build housing.
This real estate project helped develop new streets, such as Rue de Ponthieu, Rue d'Angoulême (which would later become Rue de la Boétie) and Rue Neuve-de-Berri, adjacent to Rue de Berri. The latter emerged at the same time as the aforementioned streets and was first called Ruelle de Chaillot, then Ruelle de l'Oratoire.
After being enlarged and paved, the street became Rue de la Fraternité, and finally, in 1848, Rue de Berri, as we now know it today. In 1864, the street was extended to Boulevard Haussmann, originally running only to Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré.
Rue de Berri has today evolved into the centre of the business district, attracting many big companies to its strategic and prestigious location, within walking distance of the Champs-Élysées.
Despite all these changes throughout history, some relics from the past are still present in this street, such as the imposing Hôtel Cornudet des Chaumettes, occupied by Engel & Völkers.